Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Quiet days in PA

Being still stuck at home during this extended President's Day weekend, I've been able to do some birding around the house.  `With the Great Backyard Bird Count and the Lehigh Gap Nature Center's Feederwatch this weekend, my sightings went to two citizen scientist projects.

On Saturday (2/14/09) my dad heard an American Woodcock displaying in the field across the road.  That morning, two White-winged Crossbills flew over the yard while I was birding from my deck.  On Sunday (2/15/09), I found a flock of juncos which had two Field Sparrows and a lone American Tree Sparrow mixed in. 

This morning, I had four White-winged Crossbills feeding in the spruces in my yard, but as soon as I got my camera, they took off.  I also found a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker and a Pileated Woodpecker.  There are about 30+ Pine Siskins and about 10 American Goldfinches at the feeders.



No comments: