Friday, October 8, 2010

Big Sit this Sunday

This Sunday (10/10/10) is The Big Sit, a birding event organized by the New Haven Bird Club and Bird Watcher's Digest. Basically, birders around the world pick a spot and stay there for as much of 24 hours as they want counting birds the entire time.

This year, I am doing The Big Sit in my yard, which is where I did it in 2007 and 2009. The first year, I found 49 species including some nice ones such as Tennessee Warbler and Red-shouldered Hawk. In 2009, I managed to find 70 species which included many great birds including American Bittern, American Woodcock, Northern Saw-whet Owl, Gray-cheeked Thrush, American Pipit, Nashville Warbler, Savannah Sparrow, Lincoln's Sparrow, and White-crowned Sparrow.

I hope that I can find something neat this year!

No comments: