Saturday, March 28, 2009

Sparrows, Swallows, and Stupid Shadows

As spring nears, sparrows are become increasingly common in the field across from my house. There are lots of Song Sparrows, Dark-eyed Juncos, and White-throated Sparrows. Along with these more common species, there are several Fox, Field, and American Tree Sparrows.


Of course, whenever a sparrow decides to sit out in the open, something has to ruin the photo, like a shadow:


With spring, comes breeding and with breeding comes nest box cleaning. Today, while cleaning out boxes at the Lehigh Gap Nature Center, not only did I find used nests, but several dead Tree Swallows and lots of White-footed Mice (and yes... the mice were VERY alive).






When I came home from the Lehigh Gap, I decided to take a walk around the small pond in my yard. The Spring Peepers (Pseudacris crucifer) were deafening loud, but as usual, incredibly hard to find.




Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some owls to find...

No comments: