Sunday, August 30, 2009

School starts soon :( and some migrants

Well, I go back to school on Wednesday. Ignoring the fact that I will be bored out of my mind starting in a few days, quite a good number of migrants have been popping up in my area. This morning I got up early, but as a result of the rain, very few birds were migrating. The only nocturnal flight call I heard was that of a Rose-breasted Grosbeak.

The lack of songbirds was disappointing, but several Barred Owls were calling, putting me in a slightly better mood. To top of the predawn chorus of the owls, katydids, crickets, etc. was a bunch of "singing" Pickerel Frogs, which sound like someone snoring. These awesome amphibians called until almost sunrise.

This morning, I was at the Lehigh Gap Nature Center (www.lgnc.org) for some birding. There were a few flocks of migrants, including one large flock that contained American Redstarts, Black-throated Green, Nashville, Prairie, and Cape May Warblers, and several Red-eyed Vireos. Large, sorry, HUGE flocks of Chimney Swifts and swallows (Tree and Northern Rough-winged) flew north (shouldn't they be headed south???) through the gap. Several raptors were also on the move; a kestrel, an Osprey, and Sharp-shinned, Broad-winged, and Red-tailed Hawks were seen. The only other "good" bird was a Double-crested Cormorant, which, unexplainably, was flying north like the swifts and swallows.

1 comment:

Ali Iyoob said...

Too bad about school, but great birds!